Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Not quite sure how this happened...

I am not what most people would describe as fast. I'm not sure I would even classify as average. Typically when a race begins, I'm at the back, wondering why pace groups don't go beyond 10:00/min mile.

But something has happened. A change is occuring, one that amazes me and has me questioning my pace for upcoming runs.

I am getting fast.

The past three or four times Ted and I have run our 3 miles, we have been coming in under 9:00/min miles. One time we flirted with 8:30. I try to run slower; I try to keep it the runs slower, especially during the longer runs. But I always speed up, and we come in with a time flirting with my best times.

Tomorrow we have 12 miles. Our 10-mile last week rivaled our Broad Street time. I am very curious to see how I am going to do these longer distances compared with my half marathon time from last November.

As for why I am getting faster, it's really anyone's guess. I wish I could tell you the secret ingredient--I wish I could inform everyone exactly my trick to get fast. I can't. I don't know why I'm doing besides just running faster---but it's really pretty cool and I'm loving watching my average pace time drop on my coolrunning.com running log.

But you know--as soon as I enter 5K, I'll be back in the 10:00 min/mile range...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home