Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Maybe there is something to this iPod thing…

I work for a technology company. I get excited about new versions of popular software, I get cheap thrills when my company announces a new tech-savvy product, I put bread on the table by learning about these technical advances and promoting them, and I get my kicks out of seeing what my developers can create with out-of-the-box software.

But I am not an “everyday techie”. Meaning simply, I don’t run out and buy the newest technical gadget on the market.

Nor do I run out and buy the middle-age technical gadget on the market.

In fact, I’m just now learning how to use my new iPod.

And when I say “new iPod”, I mean Dave’s discarded old iPod that he has had for years, and has recently passed on to me, since he has moved on to bigger and better.

I had been using an MP3 player that Ted won at a company Christmas party three or four years ago. It held a whopping 15 songs and didn’t even get me through my half marathon without beginning the playlist over. But it worked, and still does, and I was never prompted to go out and buy anything different.

But I think I love my iPod. I find myself wanting to load anything and everything onto it. Even if I don’t necessarily truly enjoy the music, I need to load it…because it fits. And I can. I have downloaded TV shows that I never would even think to watch. Just because I can.

So when I read a blurb in my most recent issue of Runner’s World about a guy who creates a weekly podcast, and loads it online for runners to listen to during their long run—kind of like a virtual running partner—I quickly logged online and downloaded the podcast to my iTunes (I won’t tell you how long it took for me to figure out how to do that, but it wasn’t as long as it took me to figure out how to get songs from iTunes to the iPod, and I would still be figuring out if Dave hadn’t taken over and saved the day…some tech-geek I am).

I haven’t even listened to the podcast yet, but I’m assuming it is good (if it wasn’t, I don’t think it would be featured in the magazine…isn’t everything the media prints true and good?). If you are interested, it can be found at www.steverunner.com.

Did I mention another one of my favorite pastimes is inviting people over for dinner, and making a new recipe I have never tried before? I guess directing you to a site where I haven’t even listened to the material is the same thing…so if you don’t like it, or if it offends you, I am in no way represented by this character, and I am just sitting here innocently, probably trying to figure out how to delete this post.

3 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Have fun with your new (old) iPod!

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am at where you have been. I have the beat up MP3 that is more for fashion that long play lists. I know I need to switch over to the 2004 technology....

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you will really like the ipod.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home