Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Monday, June 11, 2007

And I wore flowers in my hair.

Last Monday I walk into the office, thinking "Here's to another week." 24 hours later I find myself on a plane to San Francisco for the rest of the week for a conference. Talk about flying by the seat of your pants!

However, visiting cities has it's perks...like hill workouts I could not dream of in Philly. The concierge gave me a few running routes. The one I chose on my one free morning was a relatively flat (even for Philly standards) out-and-back along the Embarcadero and through Fisherman's Wharf. After a beautiful view of seals in the bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz (as beautiful as a prison can be), the runner was to turn around and return to the hotel the way they came.

Maggie saw a runner heading up Hyde Street when she turned around. Hyde Street is about as classic of a street in San Francisco as you can get...it runs right above Lombard Street, the crooked street (unfortunately I didn't realize that until after the run). Did I want to attempt that? I looked up the hill...and up the hill...and up the hill. Should I? I decided not to--then at the last minute thought "When am I EVER going to get a hill workout like this again?" So I take a deep breath and head up.

And it killed me. I soaked the street with my sweat and the locals got a good laugh, I'm sure. But it was worth it--makes any hill workout I have here look like mere speedbumps. Along the way back to the hotel, I passed a farmer's market. I pulled money out of my shoe pack and treated myself for a fresh California-grown peach. Delicious!
The rest of the trip was fun, as well. Cable cars and an evening at Haight Ashbury.

While not running related, Saturday Ted and I enjoyed the 92.5 XTU Anniversary Show at the Tweeter Center...thanks to Ted's co-worker who hooked us up with the best seats ever!
And who knew David Akers could rock out with Troy Gentry (Montgomery Gentry), as well as kick field goals and 3-pointers!?



(That's Akers there on the white guitar, with Montgomery Gentry...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home