Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fuel In, Fuel Out

Every runner, for the most part, understands the concept of fueling the body. It's general health class knowledge that what you put into your body is ultimately what is going to generate your energy level for the next few hours.

Ted and I are in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store. That is why last night, our pre-run fuel-in dinner consisted of greasy cheeseburgers and baked beans. It was only a 4-mile run, but not even 50 feet into it, I felt the wrath of the grill raking through my body.

The run itself was terrible. As great and as easy as the 10 miles was on Saturday, this 4 was the opposite end of the spectrum. We grumbled through it, we whined, we pitied each other, we half-heatedly encouraged one another. The wind was also a huge factor in the run, and the only thing worse than running up the hill on 2nd Street in town is running up the hill with wind hitting you in the face, and a group of firemen standing outside the fire hall (and you know you can't stop or even appear to be the least bit tired).

But despite how terrible we felt, despite how horrible the wind was, and despite how absolutely embarrassing the final time turned out to be, I was glad we went. I still felt good, and it really drove home the saying that you always return feeling much better than you left.

1 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm often amazed at how different runs can be & feel. It's inconceivable that 4 miles can be harder than 10 miles, but that's the way it is sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home