Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bananas for Chocolate





I am not a normal chocolate person. Chocolate is good, yes. Normally and typically, as I've stated before, it doesn't run my life. I don't get normally get chocolate attacks, don't crave chocolate, and could always boast about my un-female-esque ability to pass it up. Valentine's Day comes and goes, and Ted is always the recipient of the large, red-foiled heart-shaped box. But habits can be formed when you are not paying attention.

I had read somewhere that of all fruit, bananas are the most calorie-laden there is. I love bananas, and a good week would be bananas every day. On cereal. In yogurt. With peanut butter. By themselves. In an effort to trim myself down a bit more, I decided to scale back from bananas to another fruit, such as apples. Still good, though not the same.

Lent rolled around last week, and Ted and I discussed what we were giving up. I decided I didn't really have any bad habits to give up. I don't indulge in sugary drinks every day, my one cup of coffee was not even an option, and I didn't have any other bad habits that could be broken.

Except for one.

I had gotten in the habit of grabbing a piece of chocolate as I walked past the admin's desk or the production department. They weren't big pieces, a fun size candy bar or a small child-sized chocolate piece. But this was a daily occurrence, and I decided I would give chocolate up for Lent.

I really had no clue how much chocolate I consumed on a daily basis. And how much snacking I do because of that. I didn't even truly enjoy it as much as I probably should have, but it was just a habit. The first week I found myself reaching without even realizing it. It was a mindless, daily habit--this is what I did at certain times throughout the day, and I probably didn't even truly taste what I was eating, I just ate it.

I haven't cheated (except for last Thursday when the 5-year-old girl across the street brought over chocolate no-bakes and waited eagerly for Ted and I both to take a bite). My snacking is basically non-existent now, as since I'm slowly breaking this habit, I find myself avoiding the urge for the walk that leads me to the chocolate (where there are also pretzels, crackers, hard candy, and taffy).

And as a treat to myself, bananas are back in my lunch box and better than ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home