Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Friday, February 23, 2007

A new way to use the word "Fast"


Ted and I are youth group leaders. This is weird for me, especially when someone asks who the adult leaders for any given activity will be, and they say "Ted and Maggie." I want to yell "I'm not an adult! I'm doing this youth group thing because it's fun! Being an 'adult leader' makes me old."
But the fun has officially stopped right now. It's been 5 hours since I last ate. And I'm hungry.
And I have 25 hours to go.
Ted, myself, and five youth members (including Dave) are joining with another church in the 30 Hour Famine. We can drink water and juice. And chew gum. And at midnight bowling tonight, we are allowed slushies. I haven't been midnight bowling, maybe ever. But by midnight this evening, I think slushies will sound pretty darn good!
The Famine is to raise awareness for world hunger, and raise money for World Vision, the charity who helps "starve out hunger". Beginning at 6:00 this evening, we have a jam-packed schedule of service projects, fun events, and who knows what else. We sleep in sleeping bags at the church and tomorrow will bring more service projects and other events until the end, where the ladies of the church will make Stromboli's.
Ted and I did a good run last night, figuring we'll be in no condition to run today or tomorrow. I have a feeling we'll be in no condition this time tomorrow to do much of anything, but it will be for a good cause. And Sunday's run will be nice. Our body will be cleansed and purified, we'll be (hopefully) well-rested, and we'll have a new sense on what gifts we have and how lucky we are.
But apple juice never tasted so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home