Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ode to Running, By Maggie

Some people ask me, “Why do you run?”
It seems hard on your body, and doesn’t look fun.”
The response isn’t as easy as I want it to be,
Though hard to explain, the reasons are clear to me.

I run for the extra cookie I secretly ate last night,
I run because my favorite jeans just feel a bit too tight.
I run to see sights I normally wouldn’t see,
I run just to spend some quiet time with me.

I run to achieve a goal I just made,
I run so I don’t lose the registration fee I paid.
I run because it keeps me feeling fit and fine,
And for that high I get when I cross the finish line.

I run to appreciate the rain and the snow,
I run when the temperatures are high and low.
I run because running clothes can be so cute,
And the races give away some really cool loot.

I run because my work day was a little too bad,
And you never return from a run feeling sad.
I run because I never thought I could,
And the races I now run I never thought I would.

It’s hard to explain, you just have to know,
And it doesn’t matter how far you run, or how fast you go.
So next time they ask “why you do that I haven’t a clue,”
I’ll simply smile, nod, and say, “Because I do.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home