Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Revolutions and Revalations


It surprises me what my body is capable of.
Ted, Dave, and I did the Revolutionary 5-mile run this past weekend at Valley Forge. Described as a "challenging" course (meaning "hard"), we prepared ourselves by incorporating hills into our daily runs, which isn't hard to do, where we live.
I felt as though I was flying through most of the race, regardless of the terrain. I pushed through parts where I previously would have taken a breather. I passed people that previously would have passed me. And I even lost half a lung at the water stop by trying to drink and run at the same time.
At the end, I felt I truly had given my all. But I don't recall when I improved that much, or when hills had been not quite the big deal they once were.
Overall, the race was great. The support was surprising for the location, which was nice. The Health Expo, which was after the race instead of the day before at packet pick-up, was a pretty good deal. Alot of free stuff, and after that race, I don't think anyone had any questions about whether they should take something or not...everyone felt like they earned it.
I've realized I'm capable of so much more than I was giving myself credit for. Phrases I used to use to give myself an automatic out (i.e. "I am not a hill runner", "I am not a fast runner") are slowly slipping from my vocabulary. I've learned I can push myself and succeed, and a little hard work goes a long way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home