Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Lifecycle of a Runner

Despite running for many years, I have only recently discovered a trend in my lifecycle as a runner. It starts with the birth--a new training schedule, a new pair of running shoes or an article of running clothing, a new season, or just a new wave of energy and excitement for the sport. It slowly grows--you increase your mileage, you break in the shoes, you ride the wave. There are plateaus and small bumps along the way, but nothing too major. You peak, typically on race day.

Then you plummet.

I am, right now, on the plummet.

Ever since Broad Street, Ted and I have been kicking each other's butts out the door, and more often than not, giving up before we reach the porch. When we do go, generally it's like jumping into a cold pool--you hold your breath and force through it until it begins to get comfortable.

Last night was one of the odd nights when we actually made it beyond the front porch. We went right after work, so to avoid any excuses why we shouldn't go (both the American Idol and Lost finales were last night--there would have been an excuse). The air temperature was warm--for 75, it felt a lot warmer in the sun, and cooler in the shade. It was rough, and we couldn't figure out if it was because we were so uninterested or if the weather was taking a toll.

However, I have been here before. This level of disinterest won't last, and eventually I'll pick up the cycle again at the birth stage, and love every minute of the training. But for now, I'll work on pushing through this slow death of the cycle. Tomorrow I am going to try an early morning run to try and stay on track, but also change it up a bit.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend, and take a moment to pay respect to those who gave their lives so we can eat our burgers and run our races and speak freely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home