Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Midnight Running

The big joke of the weekend was how Ted and I left for a run Saturday night, and came back Sunday. (Okay, so the big joke was really funny only to me...Ted and Dave just don't have the same sophisticated humor I do).

We were scheduled for a run Sunday morning. Saturday night we were watching a movie, and I leaned over and whispered to Ted, You know it's going to be hot tomorrow morning. Ted nodded and was quiet for a second. We could go after the movie...

I didn't say anything, but a few minutes later asked him if he was serious. He nodded. And that is how we found ourselves lacing up our shoes at 11:50 Saturday night. We were only doing 3 miles--we have a 5K on Wednesday, and just wanted to maintain that distance for now, since training starts in the next few weeks, and we'd have plenty of time for long runs in the future.

I made Ted wear my reflective vest, and we set out. It was very quiet, we only saw a handful of cars on the way. We were extra cautious...I was leery of crazy people or drunk drivers, but we had no problems. The temperature was a comfortable 70, which was nice without the sun beating down.

We went at a fast pace. I think adrenaline was kicking at the beginning, and I never slowed down. It felt good to run fast, and I found myself imagining doing that pace the whole way through the marathon (yeah, right).

I was very glad we decided to go at that time, especially when we woke up Sunday and it was already 80 at 8:00 in the morning. And the memory that made! Anyone can say they got up at 7:30 Sunday morning to run. Not everyone can say they ran at midnight the night before.

And the few cars that did pass us...I think I would pay to hear the conversation inside the car at that time.

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Austin_Gurl said...

That is so awesome! I think I'll bring that up to my husband. I can't run three miles yet, but I will work my way to it! He can run up to ten miles right now and more really soon.
Texas is so hot as well. So that is perfect.
Did you find yourself all wired and couldn't sleep? just wondering!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maggie Mae, A movie followed by a midnight run. Maybe you and Ted can market that idea. Sounds fun...plus you could sleep later on Sunday. Thanks for the great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home