Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

How to Add to Office Whispers.

I am happy to report that seven weeks into 2008, I am still right on track with running at least a mile every day. The jury is still out on how it will ultimately effect my running (my miles have never been so fast; but my long runs have never been so hard). However, I am doing it and I will continue to do it for the remaining 45 weeks. Because that is what I said I would do.

With that pep talk out of the way, the resolution has forced me to be creative about the time I find to run. Some days are obviously easier than others. Other days require me to slip a mile run in somewhere and just bathe in deodorant and perfume upon my return—just in time for my afternoon meetings.

I work for an office that doesn’t necessarily care if you select a healthy lifestyle. Some companies reward employees with on-site showers, insurance discounts, gym memberships, so on and so on.

My company took the on-site showers and expanded the men’s restroom. And the last thing the HR secretary ever told me (before they laid her off) was “I don’t know” to my question on if our health insurance provided a gym membership discount.

With all that said, you can imagine the whispers and stares I’m sure I probably get as I sprint down the hallway and through the parking lot to my car in my little running tights, cursing that I forgot at least a baggy sweatshirt that day.

Yes, my “When can I run?” runs are currently being held over lunch. I drive to a local park, run a mile around a block in the area, and drive back. Upon my return, I quickly shuffle my way back into the bathroom, bathe with a number of baby wipes and deodorant, spritz and sprtiz with perfume, then calmly walk my still-sweaty self back to my office, where I plug in my hair straightener, fetch my lunch, and complete my pre-run appearance.

No one has ever said anything about my lunchtime jaunt, although I can only imagine what the employees are all talking about, especially those that walk into the ladies room to see a sock laying on the floor, or underwear peeking out from a bag, with me quickly changing inside the stall, half the time falling over into the walls, and once terrified because I almost accidentally flushed my iPod.

(Editor’s Note: Best Luck Marcus, on Sunday’s Ugly Mudder Trail Run. I saw the “steps” on the race course were condemned by the city of Reading…therefore, I think Ron Horn said there’s another bushwacker hill to climb…good luck and um…have fun?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home