Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Star Sightings

Marcus wasn't the only star I saw during my recent gallop in New York...

Tuesday morning I got up and routed out my run for the day. It was a beautiful morning, cool but not frigid, and sunny. I decided to end up around Rockefeller Center. A few years ago, while in New York, I packed up our corporate logo signs and froze my fanny out for a few seconds on CBS's Early Show, providing some free press and a chance to get my smiling mug on TV.

I wasn't quite so enthusiastic this year, but was curious to see what NBC was like, compared to the Early Show. I was expecting a much larger crowd, and was thrilled to realize I could stand at the window of the studio and watch Matt Lauer interviewing someone about the economy. The interview didn't interest me nearly as much as Meredith Vierra standing off to the side, and I decided to stick around a bit longer when I realized they were ready for an outside shoot.

Within minutes, all four anchors were in the Plaza, with two other people I didn't recognize at first...then they introduced them.

I LOVE Biggest Loser. I find that show to be very motivating, and would love five minutes with Bob the Trainer. If I actually wanted to get some crunches in, I'd pick Jillian.
Therefore I was thrilled when I realized the mystery people were Jillian Michaels and Bernie, the latest non-Biggest Loser.

I should mention here that when standing at the plaza in the crowd, there are two sets of barricades. One set surrounds the open area where Al and Matt and the others stand, the other set surrounds the first set. I was standing by the second set, as I was just running past, and when I realized it was Bernie and Jillian, I began to climb and straddle and do everything short of jumping over the barricade to get a better look. The entrance was clear on the other end of the Plaza, and I didn't want to lose the shot of seeing them to walk around.

A security guard finally came over and asked if I wanted to go inside. I said I didn't want to walk the whole way around and I was fine. "Ma'am, the entrance is only over there." (My excitement at seeing famous people wasn't going to hindered by the fact that for some reason I was a "Ma'am" and not a "Miss", but minor flaw on her part). No, really, I assured her. I'm fine.

"Well, we don't like you standing here."

Okay, so I decided to walk around and go inside, where I obviously was supposed to be. I hurried over, seeing that the interview was now over and while the four anchors high-tailed it back into the studio, Jillian and Bernie were taking pictures and signing autographs and meeting with people. I was wearing my Philadelphia Marathon shirt, and was certain that I would be a prime person for Jillian to talk to. After all, we share the same interests. Granted, she's more into the blood-type of training than I am, but we both understand the final result and the work it requires.

Alas, my marathon shirt must have been a poor choice, as I'm sure it intimidated the poor girl. She chose not to come talk to me, and instead walked inside with Bernie.

The surprise? Jillian Michaels wears 6-inch heels.

The truth? She still could probably kick my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home