Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Best-Laid Plans.

I have held a driver’s license for 12 years. In those 12 years of driving, I have one speeding ticket to my name. My record is squeaky clean. No accidents. I’ve never even so much as been in an accident.

Until today.

My commute to work is only about 15 miles, but it is full of lights and traffic. Obviously, the earlier I leave, the better off I am.

Today’s plan was to leave very early. I had hoped to be at work by 7:30, get a lot accomplished and out the door by 4:00. I would scurry home, change, and run six miles, ending at Ted’s office in time to ride home with him. This was all so I could get home and hunker down in lieu of the pending snowstorm we are supposedly to get.

Then I get rear-ended. By a suspended-licensed driver who isn’t driving her car and, at the time of this posting, has yet to submit insurance information to the police (we kind of all know where this is going, right?).

Visually, her car was much worse off. It was obviously totaled, compared to my chipped bumper and mangled muffler…I could still drive mine (although it did hit “hot rod” status quickly with the muffler now trash).

However, according to the insurance adjuster, the car isn’t legal to be driven, so for up to $25/day, my insurance company will cover a rental. $25/day doesn’t get you much at all. But it runs.

Needless to say, my nice long run is out of the picture. With each minute that pass, my back and neck feel tighter and stiffer, and I’m just not sure a long run would be as “nice” as I want it to be.

So, moral of the story is…run before leaving for work in the morning, drive carefully, and if your license is suspended…don't drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home