Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Cliff bars, Nasal strips, and Glucosamine Chondroitin


(Okay, the cheerleader is for GO MAGGIE! becuase I'm feeling pretty positive about my running lately...)

In the past week, I have ran 20+ miles and I am feeling pretty darn happy about that. I'm not necessarily quick, but you know, baby steps to the finish line. Due to this great high I am on, I am determined to make this last past the Broad Street Run (which is in 19 days, and I have been given my goal finish time of 1:45 by a fellow runner). I am determined to make this summer THE summer I continue to increase mileage, and quite possibly set my sights on a half marathon for fall/early winter (I think there is one in Memphis--Aunt Jeannie, I'm comin'!!!). And this just isn't me speaking--I have three weapons to use that I am certain will take me there.

1) Cliff bars--For those 60+ minute runs, these things are great! They taste delicious and work, too, but please try to go to the bathroom before leaving...I am getting up at 5:00, downing a cliff bar, and heading out for an hour-plus run, and everything is working, so by the time I get back, there is no time for stretching. We head right upstairs. I'm not sure how this will work when I get into 90+ minutes...I may be making friends with the gas stations along my route...

2) Nasal Strips--Another shameless plus with no kick-back for a product found at your local grocery store. I am very sensitive to poor air quality, which is one reason I don't run well in the summer. The more humid the weather, the hotter, the worse I am at breathing. These products help you breath amazingly, and do stay on despite the small streams of sweat I tend to form on my face. The only problem is this: you are at the mercy of your nasal canals. Since your nose is practically being pulled open from the ouside in, it is hard to sniff snot back into your head, or blow a snot rocket, or whatever is done to clear the running stuff. I'm relying on these come July and August...

3) Glucosamine Chondroitin--I have a running bet with someone that I will have new knees by the time I'm 35. During a recent conversation with our next door neighbor (who is a contractor and recently built us a brand new kitchen...more on that later), he asked how my knees were and Husband and I laughed. He suggested Glucosamine Chondroitin, said he took it and noticed a difference. Damn Roger. For the past three months, he has been suggesting expensive things for us to do ("Go with the high quality cabinets, Ted and Maggie", "I suggest the beadboard ceiling, Ted and Maggie", "Don't get the cheap hardwood floor, go with the good stuff, Ted and Maggie"). We are very happy with those choices, they do make all the difference (especially when the loan bill comes in each month), but when he finished and walked away, we figured he was done making expensive suggestions. These vitamens are not your cheap, average, $8/bottle. i got 110 quantity for $30. The serving size is 3 pills. So again, it was one of those decisions...do I want to spend the money? Will it make a major difference in how I feel? I bought the pills, and if they work, it will be amazing.

So here's to a great summer! I will have energy. I will be able to breath. My knees will not hurt. I'm feeling optimistic and good and ready to tackle the races.

With that said, I ran across some information on Husband's ex-girlfriend, who is packing in 8-minute miles.

Those 5 minutes of pure optimism were great while they lasted!

2 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Good luck at the Broad Street Run! I'm looking forward to it.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Maggie Mae said...

Ah! My very first comment ever!
:-) Thanks...I think I'm finally looking forward to it. good luck to you too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home