Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Humble Pie

Three months ago, I was smack-talking my experience with Broad Street, and was all "Philly Distance Run or bust!", certain that I could maintain the distance plus three miles and be in great condition to do the Sept. 17th run. After all--I had already done the hard part, right?

Ladies and Gents...please pass me a fork so I can eat this big piece of Humble Pie.

Actually, I've been eyeing up the Humble Pie for quite some time, pretty much once I realized the recovery week from Broad Street was turning into plural terms, then into a recovery month. I knew when I began to get nervous for the 5K in July that I was in trouble...and the chances of me preparing and completing the Philly Distance Run in September were about as far away as that finish line. So I will not see all of you at the Art Museum come the 17th...but I'll be there in spirit.

With that said...I will make it up to you come December 2nd. Last winter, Ted's aunt moved to Memphis. When Ted said to find a weekend to go visit her, I chose this weekend. And not by accident. This was carefully planned and executed...you see, December 2nd is the Memphis/St. Jude's Marathon and Half Marathon. And I have every intention in my body of completing this Half Marathon, and going one step farther and becoming a St. Jude's Hero, by raising funds for the hospital. But I'll keep you posted on that.

The 16-week training schedule I downloaded from runnersworld.com started yesterday. I am to run 2 miles yesterday, tomorrow, and Friday. This is candy for me, and during yesterday's run, kept thinking this is almost too easy. I guess we'll see when those remaining 11 miles get tacked on...but I am (fairly) certain this should be possible.

I won't have the heat and humidity of summer working against me. And it typically isn't very, very cold until later in the winter here. In fact, most of the training should be fairly mild. To make it even easier, Ted somehow got roped into joining a men's study group at church that meets before the Sunday Service. "Should I go?" he asked me a few weeks ago. "Absolutely, I think it would be great!"I responded, unfortunately, not with his spiritual well-being in mind. I saw an extra hour of running possible, without having to try and force myself out the door, while thinking of him laying on the couch watching TV.

So that is my plan. The biggie race of the fall. Besides the Rothman 8K in November and various 5Ks throughout now and December, this is the Mother Race I will focus on. After that, I guess it's Broad Street again...But Maggie will be "Running in Memphis"! (Should I buy a pair of blue suede trainers? Or how many other people do you think thought of that one already?)

P.S. Speaking of "mother races", my mother has completed Week 2 of her running schedule...and is doing great!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home