Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Truth Behind Fireworks

Come June 30th of any given year, you can find me in front of any local section of the paper, hunting for the nearest town with fireworks actually held on the 4th of July. The true trick to this annual task? Ted hates crowds. While he enjoys fireworks, he doesn't enjoy them enough to sit in traffic, battle crowds, sit on the ground for 45-60 minutes, battle crowds, and sit in traffic.

Our first year in our new house, or tiny town had it's own 4th of July celebration, complete with one of the better fireworks displays at the local library, convienently located blocks from our house. We walked there and walked back and everyone was happy. That hasn't occured since, and each year I have typically settle for watching them on TV.

This year, my cousin Cassie was visiting for the weekend. She was due to arrive the same day Peddler's Village was holding it's July celebration (okay, so it was on Saturday the first, more of Oh Canada! Day than July 4th, but my one shot for fireworks). Cassie arrived, I hugged her, threw her luggage inside, and tossed her into our car. I love Peddler's Village, even though many of the stores are typically too rich for my blood (with the exception of the occasional deal, such as the semi-circular cherry wood table Ted spied at a store this past weekend, and which found its way in the back of the car). So I was hoping for a beautiful fireworks display, which, much to my dismay, was mediocure at best.

The highlight of the evening was the little boy on the blanket next to us. While watching the display, the little boy and a few younger girls were talking about the fireworks. Aren't they pretty, one commented. I wonder what fireworks are made of, another speculated.

I know what they are. The little boy did not hesitate to speak up, so certain of himself that Ted, Cassie, and myself all leaned a bit closer to the blanket to listen to the explanation.

You do!? The little girls looked at him, mesmorized.

After a deep breath, and lengthy suspense from two little girls and three innocent bystanders, the boy continued with his explanation, one full of Britannica worthiness.

Fireworks are just giants tooting in the sky. And they are tooting so strongly that they are bouncing off the ground.

I'm sure the British would have been proud.

Happy Independence Day to all! I hope and pray the patriotic spirit felt on this day continues throughout the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home