Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Training Across the Miles






My mother and I think we can move mountains--if we only lived closer. If I lived close to you, I could show you that knitting stitch. If you lived closer to me, we could go shopping together. If you lived up here, you could come give Curly her insulin shots.

But we don't. I'm in PA. She's in south, south Maryland. But we manage through email and phone, but yesterday brought on the newest string of If we only lived close to each other...

My mom has been trying to get back into shape. I think she realizes she can do it (she has before), and I think she knows it won't happen over night. But her main trouble is the motivation to get up and do something (hm...think it runs in the family?). A few weeks ago, she told me she had found a new walking route. I even run a little sometimes.

Yesterday I received the email...If you lived closer to me, I bet you would motivate me more. I think the new wore off and now it was a chore instead of something fun and new.

I sent some websites to her that might help...and told her to try going out at different times that might work in the schedule a bit easier. On my way home is when I thought of it.

Mom... I said into her answering machine last night. Mom...if you get up tomorrow morning and walk, I'll get up and do something. What, I wasn't exactly sure. But I'd get up and find something to do. Then we'll have to come in and tell each other about it.

At 5:30 the alarm went off and I staggered out of bed. Ted muttered his encouragement...Your mom is going to be waiting for you and went back to sleep. I opted to do a weight workout this morning, so headed out to the garage, wondering how she was doing.

Just a bit ago we had "check-in". She did the 2 miles, knowing she'd have to answer to me...which of course would intimidate just about anyone! :-)

Good job, Mommy. Same time, tomorrow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home