Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Faster than the speed of lightning

Last night, Ted and I took a deep breath, laced up our running kicks, and found ourselves at the middle school track to get the first set of speedwork in before the rain came. It was about a three quarter of a mile jog to the track, which was our warm-up, and we decided to do one comfortable-paced lap around the track to see what the base time was. We did that lap in 2:05, and Ted, taking his role of coach very seriously, said we would do another lap, with the goal time in 1:50. After much whining and complaining by moi, he said okay, if we do it and it is not under 2 minutes, we do it again. Sucking it up, we started the second lap fast....and did it in 1:48. Woo hoo!!!!

(now that everyone has picked themselves off the floor from laughing so hard at the feeble attempt at speed, I'll continue)

It started to drizzle, so we called it a work-out and jogged home. The "fast" lap thrilled me to no end, as I thought surely he was jesting with the idea of a lap under 1:50. But I did it, then immediately put everything into perspective at the thought of those people who could do that speed 80 more times around that track, and still go home to mow the lawn.

Maybe there is a fast (or fast-er) runner trapped inside of me. I didn't think there would be...but then Ted was there to remind me that even a year ago, I didn't think there was a distance runner inside of me. All in due time, I guess. If I keep working at it, the next race is a 5K in July...dare I dream of averaging 8 minute miles for that? I believe I dare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home