Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Two days...

I'm not sure I've ever been this calm before a race. Maybe it hasn't truly sunk in the 10-mile run is Sunday. Maybe becuase it's a distance I've never raced before, I have nothing to prove to myself or any PRs to break. I'll be thrilled to do it. Maybe it's because I don't know what to expect! :-)

I'm feeling ready for it, my biggest fear is the new shoes and if the blisters will return. I probably should wear my old ones, but they feel pretty beaten and I would rather wear new shoes, feel the support and do better and have blisters than shin splints. Ted's father lives in South Philly, so we'll park there and take the subway up to the start. He'll watch the start, then ride the subway back down and wait for me at the end. The weather should be perfect--mostly sunny, low 45, high 68. I'll need to remember to take my sunglasses.

Last evening, we stopped by the hospital to meet our friends' new baby boy. What a perfect little bundle he was! Simply adorable. I'm excited he was born--partly because I love new babies, and partly because his mother ran Boston a few years ago, and I'm hoping she'll get back into running after she recovers. I'd love to have a running partner, especially one to help me and push me towards the 26.2 mile mark! (she just doesn't know that yet...)

Wish me luck on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it, I think.

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm mostly calm too. I was just checking the train times when I got your comment. I will have an easier commute--regional rail to the north end of the broad street line. The crowded subway cars do sound like fun. I'll be runner #3005. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home