Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Summer Running

Happy Almost-June to my handful of readers!

As the weather gets warmer (or skips warm altogether and hops right to "smoldering" in my neck of the woods), I find myself excited for the transition from winter/spring running to summer running.

All seasons have their pros and cons (although winter definitely has more cons). I got out yesterday morning around 5:30, thrilled that the sun was up, it was light, and almost 70. It was very humid, but I realized that the pros of summer running is not anything found during the run itself...my pros all come AFTER the run (except for that initial early-morning feeling of a hot day, especially after walking out of my house which does not have central air)!

1) Sitting on the porch. After a summer run on cool to mild mornings, my post-run treat is a glass of Gaterade, a banana (if I have any), and the paper on the front porch swing.
2) The pool. On the hot mornings when I return with the disgusting film of sweat, the jump in the pool with everything but the shoes still on does wonders. On mornings I don't do this, I find the sweating process lasts much longer than the shower.

The Memorial Day weekend was a great way to kick off the beauty of summer running. No, I did not get out--I opted for drunken bocce ball, grilling, and impromtu engagement parties (YAY JACK AND ROBIN--IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME). But yesterday morning's run before work was the best Memorial Day send-off/enter summer running experience.

Here's to three more months of sweaty film layers, soaked tank tops, breathing strips, and post-run pool-plunges!!! Summer...what a beautiful thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home