Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Monday, November 05, 2007

And the results say...

Ted had his MRI last week, and the results came back, denouncing the original diagnosis of a torn meniscus, reducing it to a sprain. So Ted decided his training is back on, after a 2-week rest, and Sunday we got up and did 12 miles in the brisk autumn morning.

Having a natural athletic build, Ted was able to complete the 12 miles, feeling only minor aches and pains (the aches and pains associated with any mortal attempting to run 12 miles after a 2-week hiatus). But his knee was fine, or seemed fine. As we were gathering firewood later that afternoon, he mentioned he felt sore in his knee, and we ended early so he wouldn't overdo it.

As of now, he thinks he's going to go for it. Hopefully the distance will be okay for his knee, and I'll just add Aleve to the fuel pack filled with gels and water and Gatorade. The traditional 5K Thanksgiving race may be questionable, although I am tempted to register any way, and if we walk it, we walk it.

But the bottom line is it looks like Ted is back on for the marathon, which is creeping ever closer.
The best part about yesterday's run, however, was Ted admitting that he was surprised at how much he had missed running, and how he enjoyed being back. "I always said I ran just for you," he told me. "But I didn't realize how much I enjoyed it until now. Look at what you've created."

*sniff, sniff* I'm so proud!

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Hey. That's great news!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger lifestudent said...

Good to hear your have re-gained your running partner. And even better that he has a new outlook. I guess there is some truth to the whole "we dont know what we've got until its gone" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home