Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Maybe it's time for a change...

Our lives are a complete polar opposite from what they were two weeks ago. The first change is that due to family issues (that were not our fault, but nonetheless are just as stressful), Dave has moved back in with his mother. This was not a smooth transition, and has left many hurt feelings and stressful conversations, which could have been avoided. While it is straightened out at this point (for the most part), it caused quite a deal of stress and tension for a few weeks.

The second change is a more positive one--I have received and started a new job. I began this week and while it has quite a few perks that I will enjoy (including a free gym membership with their corporate gym in the building...BIG deal!), and the return to actually thinking and using my brain, which has caused me to arrive home exhausted and wanting nothing more than to curl up in bed. The job itself is great and I can't wait to get moved into my office (once it is finished) and to the point where I don't get lost on the way to the bathroom or wonder who that was again I passed and answered "Good!" when they asked me "How is it going, Maggie?". But until I reach that, I will not only have to learn a new industry and method of madness, but also the small things we most often take for granted.

Then, as if this wasn't enough, Curly decided the other night to have a nightmare, which I misinterpreted for a seizure. She was fine, and is fine, but it caused a rough evening and even rougher next day as I fought the certainty that I would be coming home to a dead cat. Again, for the record, it was a nightmare (she was hissing and puffed up and shaking--it was terrifying).

With everything going on, Ted and I have not been focusing on running as much as we should be. The Lehigh Valley Half is at the end of the month, and we have not ran a foot past 6 miles. We shrug off our evening training runs, and I probably wouldn't have the energy to complete them if we were to try. I'm still running my daily mile, but we need to step up the distance if we are going to consider having fun at the half-marathon at the end of the month.

That is why tomorrow we're attempting at a morning run. Maybe evening running is old news--maybe we've been so used to going it's a chore now, and doesn't hold the excitement any longer. So we'll try the run tomorrow morning, and either it will work and we'll refresh our energy and interest, or we'll realize how nice we had it with evening runs and refresh the routine with a new appreciation.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

So which one was it? Great morning run, or looking forward to the next evening run?

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Congratulations on your new job.

There's still some time to get some miles in before the Lehigh Valley Half. I'm glad that Broad Street is only 10 miles.

I'm glad that Curly is okay. That must have been scary. Our cat is stressed/anxious and is acting out. I feel bad for the little guy.

Good luck with all the changes. Hopefully, things will settle down for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home