Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year In Review

Well, it's done. My 2008 goal of running at least a mile a day is finished and complete.

Ted ran my final mile with me at 6:00 am this morning. It was uneventful and normal, despite my attempts to make it bigger than it was--reminiscing over past runs, discussing past races. But it was just a run.

As a review of my goal, I started thinking back over the past year at this accomplishment. People I've talked to seem quite impressed that I've done this--however, I think I've been very fortunate this year.

I wasn't sick this year. I didn't have to run with a fever, or pains, or injuries. The weather was never extreme, and when I did complain about ice or cold, I had treadmills to fall back on. The mile a day was merely an inconvenience, at most. But I did learn many things.

1) People are happy to help.
Without the folks on the catamaran cruise Ted and I took in May, I wouldn't have been able to maintain the streak. I was fortunate to have fellow shipmates who understood the importance of a commitment, and made sure I found land at least once each day to run. And in some cases, ran along beside me.

2) Rest days are important, too.
And I'm looking forward to a rest day tomorrow.

3) Not every run is fun.
Before I started this, I had good and bad runs. I had times I didn't want to run, but once I started, I enjoyed the run and was glad I had gone. This year, there were quite a few runs that were miserable. I didn't want to go, and once I got out the door, the run didn't get better. I've realized that not every run gets better, and some just downright suck.

4) You can do it.
Whatever you set your mind to, if the determination is strong enough, it can be done. It's not always easy, it's not always fun, and it's not always convenient. But it's possible and knowing you accomplished what you set out to do is great.

So here's to 2009. I don't have any goals in mind for this year. Nashville Marathon is in April, and training begins next Wednesday. My 30th birthday is in September, the exact same day as the Philly Distance Run.

I'll be there. I'll be the one in a crown and a tutu and "It's My Birthday!!!" in big puffy letters across the front of my shirt.

It will be a fun year!

2 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger billdowis said...

WOW! Every day of the year??!!?

Great job!

I will be looking for you at the distance run in philly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home