Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Marathon Fever

I love fall. I absolutely do. After months of hot, steamy temperatures, bright sun, and very little relief, the cooler temperatures are a welcome change. I love the colors of the leaves, the brisk air, and the "autumn sun", which is still beautiful and warm, but hardly as blistering as "summer sun".


It's this time of year that my urge to run kicks in. There are very few natural elements in the fall that hinder my running--winter is obvious snow and brutally cold temperatures. Summer brings heat and humidity, and while spring is definitely a welcome change from the dead of January, the increase in air temperature can cause problems (since I've decided my body is sensitive to warm temperatures, and going from cold-to-hot in running is not as pleasant as going from hot-to-cold).


Ted and I have three races in the next three weeks, and I've been following quite a few people training for fall marathons. I, however, am not one of those people training (although I do look very forward to training for Nashville beginning in January).


This time last year, we were at the peak of the Philadelphia Marathon training. This year, we plan on taking a new role in the race. We're motivators.


One of the greatest thing about having Ted's family down at the Philadelphia Marathon last year was how amazing it was for them to jump in and run miles 21-25 with us...words could not express what that meant and, even before the race, I would not have been able to comprehend the power that had.

So this year, Ted and I are paying it forward. My cousins, Jessie and Nick, are running Philly. They are juniors in high school, and part of the Students Run Philly Style training program with the Philadelphia School System. This will be their first full marathon, and I plan on being there for them as Ted's family was for us...backpacks, change of clothes, food, water, and a running partner when they need it the most. It will be a different side of the line to be on, but one I'm looking forward to.

Good luck to everyone running Steamtown and Chicago...and any other fall races!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home