Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Savoring this year

As of today, I am entering the last year of my 20's. I have 365 more days before I enter the next age group, and 365 more days to savor the last year of being "young".

I'm not too concerned with being older, though. I don't feel like I need to hold on to my youth in any way, and I don't necessarily think I'm missing out on anything. The main issue with turning 30 next year is entering a new age group in races.

Alot of the local races Ted and I do are small-town races, with 20-50 participants. When the races are like this, the 20-29 age range for females is pretty thin. Most 20-29 year old females in these small towns are either pregnant, raising babies, hung over, still pleased with their youthful figures, or living off in the city. Because of this, I end up on the awards stage at alot of the races--with the only effort being that I managed to roll out of bed and show up.

The next age group up, however, is much more tough and competitive. I see alot of these women who could beat me to a pulp. They are strong, they are fast, and they are good runners.
And they intimidate me. And next year I'll be up against them, and I'll have to work hard if I want to earn a place on the awards stage at races again.

But I have a year for that. I loved my cake Ted got me---even though Giant referred to the cake as a "jogger"....

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Awesome cake. Happy Birthday!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

The 30s are great! While you might not get as many age group awards, the real life rewards are many. Happy Birthday!!!! Enjoy the wonderful fall running weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home