Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

So the sickness continues...

A month ago this time, the question "Would you do another marathon?" left me slightly nauseous, and skirting around the issue.

So tell me why I found myself trying to figure out a way to get into the NYC marathon?

I never thought I would avoid marathons forever...I just figured the urge would come on a bit more slowly than it did...I had thought I would see it coming down the road, and not come around a turn and have it hit me head-on.

For a few days I avoided bringing the topic up with Ted...like a drug addiction, I thought if I ignored it, it would go away, and I'd never have to fess my madness to anyone. But it came out, and instead of disgust, Ted responded with a sheepish "I've been thinking about it, too."

We determined NYC wouldn't be possible...if I'm going to complete the year with my daily running, I thought it would be smart to put off marathon training until next year. In addition to that, the NYC marathon lottery was over and the charity organizations I could sign up with intimidate me (I'm terrified of not raising the money, and an $80 marathon registration fee turns into over $2000).

So the goal is Nashville in April 2009. If that falls through, I'll see what is involved in getting in the lottery for NYC next year, but that's the plan.

It's a disease. What am I thinking? Molli has told me the second marathon is the hardest...the first one you are just thrilled to finish. The second you begin to try to beat times and get cocky..."I did this before. No sweat." I figure I'll be kicking myself come Mile 20, but, like many other events in my life requiring the common sense I lack, I plow forward regardless.

On other notes, Happy 4th of July everyone!

1 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger lifestudent said...

I said NO WAY to another marathon after the Chicago mess and my Vegas success. Now I am pregnant and everyone I know is training ... and I feel left out! Now all I think about is trying to do one next year :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home