Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Maintaining the Streak?

First of all, a big thank you to all who participated in the 1st Annual National Naked Running Day! The weather was definitely not on our side, but I hope everyone got something out of it. I decided to make a pact to leave the iPod at home for any run under 3 miles, but the watch I need (sorry...even I found myself struggling with that one).

Now on to the real task at hand...in 48 hours, Ted and I will find ourselves in St. Martin. We will be spending the week on a catamaran, enjoying islands and the sun and whatever other surprises may meet us there. It should be a great time.

There's just one thing.

I'm supposed to be maintaining a running streak this year. I made a pact to run at least a mile a day, and to this point, I have done just that. So what should I expect next week? Ted and I will try to run a mile every morning...but if I miss a day?

If I miss a day, I guess I miss a day. I can't let it ruin the vacation. But then what's the point of trying to maintain a streak if I shrug it off when it gets a bit complicated to fit into a schedule? Isn't that the main reason why a streak is so impressive--that it isn't always easy to fit a run into your day?

Believe me, I've gone through the scenarios plenty of times. What if I do 20 minutes of bicycles in our little room on the boat? What if I do 100 sit-ups and push-ups? What if I blow this week off, pick up when I get home and begin my "streak" over?

But nothing seems to sit right with me. The only scenario that will bring me peace is that I run a mile a day. In the morning. Before breakfast.

Time will tell how convenient this will be for me. I will be sure to let everyone know how that goes, and if the next title has an explanation point or a "not" in it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home