Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

They do it this way, I do it that way.

It's that time of year. On a normally quiet 6-mile run tonight, Ted and I saw a pack of 25-30 bikers, a handful of runners, a number of kids out playing, and quite a few walkers. It's the time of year when most people get the itch to break out of the hibernation zone, stretch their legs, and vow to get back in shape.

It's also the time of year that I begin to think exactly the opposite--I am looking forward to the Lehigh Valley Half being over so I can hang up the distance runs and return to the easy 3-mile-mornings to get me through the sticky summer months.

I tend to do my best running beginning in mid-September. From then through about this time, I'm great. I can rack up miles and miles and look forward to each run (for the most part). As soon as the weather starts to get warmer, however, I begin to dread the longer runs and would rather take advantage of the sunny evenings in other ways.

Fortunately my resolution to run a streak this year will keep me motivated through the summer (as if the bikini isn't motivation enough--and why don't they make bikinis for runners, so we don't have to buy two different sizes, a smaller-sized top, and a larger bottom, accomodating the runner booty? But that's another time and another blog...). I look forward to the morning runs again and reducing my distance for a few months.

Then, when everyone else decides it's smart to stay inside on cold, dark evenings, I'll be out and racking up the miles again.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Maggie! Looking forward to Lehigh Valley next weekend. We should meet up pre-race and say hi.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home