Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Old School.

Running is a simple sport. That is one of the reasons many of us chose it--we don't have to lug a bike around. No hockey equipment, no need to find a pool, no expensive helmets or padding (although I've determined maybe that should be necessary for some of us). We can just go out the door and there is our habitat--the open road, and we can go.

Oh...but wait. We need those special sneakers, designed for stability or motion control or low arches or high arches. Now we can run, right?

Oh, what about that shirt. You can't run in cotton--we need the really nice technical shirts. And we can't forget to make sure we eat our Cliff bar, and be sure to grab those gels...can't do the run without the gels. We can keep those in our water belt, which we absolutely need. And the expensive watch or other GPS device...we can't run without that.

Now we can run. Just go out the door and there is our habitat.

As runners today, we have it pretty good. We have alot working for us, and races cater to us, as well. They make sure there are water stops set up, snacks at the end, music, and how many of us complain about a race if the goody bag isn't up to par? I'm guilty of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I've forgotten the reason I started to run in the first place. Okay, the reason I started running seriously is because I got jealous of a runner Ted was eyeing up years ago and wanted to show him it was no big deal; that I could do that. But in high school, running was simple. I could do it. I didn't need special skills, I didn't need expensive clothes...I had a pair of sweatpants and I had a sweatshirt and I had sneakers, and so I was good to go. I didn't even time myself or keep track of how far I ran. I just went. Trust me, I love the perks running has now. I have no intention to give up any of the products that make me run well, prevent blisters, prevent burn-out, and all the other aids we have. But when you think about what we have now, and what runners had years ago, it really makes you appreciate their talent.

The other day, I was re-reading some of my previous blogs. I noticed that I had mentioned meeting Amby Burfoot at the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon and wishing I had asked what shoes he wore. Most likely he would have told me, we would have laughed, and I would have walked away shaking my head, wondering "How can you run in those?"

Truth is, he did. And so did everyone then. And not only did they run in shoes we scoff at today, they did it faster than many of us can imagine running today, and without energy bards and energy gels and water stops and iPods and Garmins. They ran because that's what they did, and their shoes weren't all kinds of supportive and they weren't pumped full of Red Bull and they weren't waiting for the next Gatorade stop or band along the course.

I have somewhat of a challenge for everyone. I'm making Monday May 12th Maggie's National Naked Running Day. Okay, not really, but let's all try something...when going out for our run Monday, let's leave the watches behind. Let's leave the iPods behind. Let's dress as simply as we can--an old T-shirt and shorts will do just fine--and just enjoy the run for what it is.

Let's just go out the door and into our habitat--the open road, and we can go.

4 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm game.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Amy@RunnersLounge said...

What a wonderful idea! I took an "unplugged" run through a crab apple orchard that was in full bloom this evening - it was really relaxing.

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

What a thoughtful and lovely post.... makes me realize I need to back off the belly-button gazing focus I have on my running sometimes. My running schedule probably won't sync up with Naked Maggie Monday, but I'll celebrate a day early and will go out sans iPod and watch for my run on Sunday! Great suggestion.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Danny said...

i forgot my garmin today. embarrassed to admit it, but i kept checking my cellphone to see how much time had elapsed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home