Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Maintaining the Streak!

Yes, I did it! Amazed? I am.

Almost immediately during conversations with fellow shipmates, it was revealed about my running attempt and my thoughts to maintain it throughout the week. Everyone else on board (which consisted of a captain, first mate, and two other couples) were very encouraging and adamant about me maintaining the running pledge, and were very accommodating at ensuring a block of time was reserved each day for me to get my run in. One of the couples, Molli and Tony from Southern CA, even ran half of the days with us.

Molli took a camera and as soon as I get pictures of some of the runs, I will get them up. Essentially, the runs consisted of running through residential areas on St. Martin, on the beach, past a group of nudists on Tintinmar, through the upscale shopping district on St. Barths, and up a crazy steep hill on Anguilla (but we were rewarded with a spectacular view of the bay area, marina, and Caribbean Ocean once we reached the top). On a run in St. Barths, a local dog found us early on and ran along side us, ensuring we maintained pace, throughout the entire run.

I am not sure I could have maintained it without having the support I did. And knowing I have people now across the globe routing for me really secures my interest in ensuring I complete the resolution through 2008. If I can find 10 minutes while on a catamaran cruise to run for a week, I can find 10 minutes anywhere.

1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Wow. You are amazing! Funny thing... Steve and I were on vacation for a week in Tortola (British Virgin Islands) around the same time you guys were away! We didn't run a lick.... except maybe into the ocean... or to the bar. We were land lubbers though and certainly could have run if we wanted to. Kudos to you for tackling a hill like that - if it was anything like the hills in Tortola, I'd say you're crazy. Congratulations on maintaining the streak!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home