Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

When a Tooth Fairy becomes a Runaway Bride


I love running. And I love when running becomes fun, beyond the official act of running (because, let's face it, as much as we love running, running isn't 100% fun 100% of the time).

I did a local Halloween-themed 5K today, that mentioned on the brochure there was a costume contest (there was no costume contest, I was the only one over the age of 10 who wore anything beyond run gear). And, truth is, I knew this would happen. I did this race 2 years ago, and the same contest was boasted and everyone showed up and beyond the pumpkins and colored leaves, it could have been any other race at any other point of the year.

But I felt like having fun, so I pulled the crinoline from my wedding (5 years ago) out of the attic. A little trimming and a bit of sewing later, I had this tutu-tulle object that made me feel like I was 5 years old again.

The goal was Tooth Fairy. I couldn't find a wand or tiara last minute, so I figured all white and my cloudy-puff would be fine. I no sooner stepped out of the car when someone yelled "Look! There's the Runaway Bride!" Okay, so I went with it. Someone from the YMCA (who hosted the race) started snapping photographs, and took a few where she made Ted look like he was hanging on to me and I was running away.

Lots of comments the entire way from volunteers and spectators. I felt slightly bad for the girl who ran my pace the entire time...she ended up beating me, but had to put up with all the comments of all the people about the tutu for 29 minutes. I'm sure she was slightly annoyed--I probably would have been had the tables been turned.

But it was fun. I enjoyed wearing it, and it really wasn't that hard to run in at all. The next race that encourages dressing up is the Gobble Wobble next month, and I'm wondering if I could pull off this look and be mashed potatoes or Cool Whip?

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

That's great Maggie!

You get an A for imagination for the tooth fairy idea. You get an A+ for going with the flow and accepting the runaway bride comments.

Costume races are fun. In my experience not many people even try--people should lighten up and live a little. I ran a halloween 5K today which was fun. They did have a costume contest but the 3 winners were all walkers. Coming up with a running costume is much harder!

I agree with you. I love running and it's great with running becomes fun.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger lifestudent said...

We have a Halloween 5&10K that happened last weekend...Ive dont it before and EVERYONE wears costumes. I would have assumed you would have been one of many - but its pretty funny that you were one of a few ;) I might have tucked my tail between my legs and went home ... makes me think of Legally Blonde, if youve seen the movie!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger I Run for Fun said...

Ha ha! Tooth fairy or runaway bride...you stole the show! I vote for cool whip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home