Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Miracle Pudding



Where have you been all my life!?!?

My run yesterday was not really considered a "long run". It was 8.5 miles, but two hills literally were steep enough to be considered "unnatural" for the human body to run up. I'm sure I resembled a penguin in certain stages going up those hills.

I had heard wonderful things about running gels. I had seen them used during Broad Street. But for some reason, I never got them. I don't know why--maybe I thought I wasn't enough of an "endurance" athlete to warrant their use? Like they were something you had to "earn"...kind of like you can't just sit around the house and drink Gatorade while watching TV...you actually have to earn the right to drink Gatorade.

But last Friday I caved and bought two gel packs. I had decided the half marathon on the 19th (which I am officially registered for...Go Maggie) did warrant their use, and I had better try them out before the race to make sure there weren't any catastrophic side effects to them. I took two--one at the 3.5 mile mark, and one at the 6.5 mile mark.

Ted came to get me at the end of the race (I ran to his mother's driveway, and he picked me up there). He actually was a little early and pulled up beside me with about a mile to go and a bottle of ice water. "You are looking good, that's a good trot!" he said, and I ran beside the car, telling him what wonder stuff the goo was and how I loved it and what did I EVER do before it??? I think I could have kept going. It was really amazing.

In fact, I'm really kind of surprised they aren't illegal....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home