Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

May I see a map, please!?

To say I am a nervous runner would be an understatement. It's been four and a half years since my first 5K and I am just now able to go to a 5K race without butterflies or jitters. But the nerves continue for anything larger than a 5K, especially for races where I am running the distance for the first time, competitively--take the Philadelphia Half in almost a month, for example.

I still have not registered for the event. I still find myself on the fence about it, and while Ted tells me I can do it, and I believe I can do it, I am not 100% convinced enough, even to register. One of the calming features I find with races nowadays is the online course map. The half marathon still has yet to post their map, and while I'm sure it will be along the same route as the full 26 miler, that map is going to be the making or breaking point for me, I'm afraid.

I told myself a month ago I would wait to see the map and then think about registering. The pre-registration date came and went, and the map is still not posted. I even emailed the race and pleaded for the map.

Common sense tells me it will be either the course of the distance run, or half the marathon, neither of which should be intimidating. Philly doesn't exactly have hills to climb and the city is not unknown to me.

But as a nervous runner, every little bit of knowledge I can gain prior to the event helps calm my poor nerves. And this is one little BIG piece of knowledge that I can't get my hands on!

On another four and a half year anniversary note, it also happens to be four and a half years since I started using porta-potties again...Coincidence???

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I can understand your butterflies. My most frequent race has been the 5K and I usually have doubts about running farther than that.

You're right. The race web site was slapped up there, but it hasn't been updated. There are several things that say "coming soon!" -- the half map being one of them.

13.1 miles is 13.1 miles. The course isn't going to be that much different if it's the PDR route or if it's half of the marathon. Training is probably more important. As long as you get in some long training runs, you'll be fine. You rocked Broad Street.

But, where is the map?

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

The map has been posted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home