Runner at Large

My whole life, I have viewed runners with a sense of awe. Now I am one of those, and I am extremely proud to be considered a runner.

Monday, October 23, 2006

New York City

I am up in New York for the next few days on business. Last night I did the treadmill thing. 20 minutes, and a few choice words to the belt of death, later, I swore never, ever to climb on that thing again.

So this morning at 8:00 I found myself outside the hotel, with my trusted route map from RRCA's website clutched in one hand.

I've been to New York many times--both business and personal. Ted and I make a point to come up one weekend every December, catch a show, see the tree, etc. But nothing prepares you for the light show you receve when you turn onto Broadway from W. 53rd. Even at 8:00 AM on a Monday.

This city always amazes me. This morning I ran down Broadway from Central Park, through Greenwich Village, and up Park. It was a modest 6-miler, but I loved it. Times Square is different when viewed doing a 9-minute mile. I loved the grey sweaters at Club Monaco. I loved the new outfits in the Gap (and I loved the way the new outfits looked on the manequins at the Gap). Even the Gap is different here.

But I'm not sure I could do this every day. A few good blocks of running, then a forced break--either due to light changes or a slow walker. But it was one of the funnest 6-mile runs I've done in a long time.

I didn't exactly expect to run outside this week while I was up here, so my attire is a simple long-sleeved shirt and pants, and it's supposed to get cold. So this morning may have been it. But what a beautiful run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home